On Wednesday, at about 8am, a woman named Florence Okanlawon lost her life, while her daughter, Taiwo, is lying in a critical condition in a Lagos hospital after a power surge affected houses on Shokoya Close, in the Oke-Ira, Ogba area of Lagos State.

It happened when the transformer serving four houses in the area discharged high voltage which caused people in the area to panic, the deceased rushed to switch off her refrigerator and end up being electrocuted.

Her daughter, who was in the bathroom when the incident happened, rushed out to rescue the mother and was also electrocuted. Unfortunately the woman died but her daughter survived.

Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, (LASEMA) official said:

He said, “It was discovered that fire resulted from a high voltage 25kva transformer which affected four buildings, whose power supply emanated from the transformer.

“The fire was quickly put out by the combined effort of bystanders and emergency response team from the state.

“Unfortunately, a middle-aged woman, identified as Mrs. Florence Okanlawon, was electrocuted in an attempt to quickly put off her refrigerator, while her daughter, Taiwo Okanlawon, was affected by the fire. Both victims were rushed to Ifako Ijaye General Hospital.

“It was, however, gathered that the electrocuted woman later died as a result of severe burns sustained, while the child is undergoing treatment.”